Friday, October 22, 2010

"....signifying nothing"

Wow. I called it. The Cleveland critics HATE the show. With vitriol. With uptmost contempt. Ok, Christine Howey (Scene Magazine and her blog Rave and Pan) thought it was mediocre. Fran Heller (Cleveland Jewish News) was the only one who enjoyed herself. But Tony Brown couldn't make his hate-note short enough and Bob Abelman couldn't talk about how "The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Abridged" is soooooo much better than "Kill Will" enough. I really want to find the first reviews of Complete Works sometime......

Apparently we didn't take Shakespeare seriously enough. Or funny enough. We are massacring The Bard's great works. The audience participation is outshines the rest of the show.... or is it painful to watch?

I am satisfied. With the exception of Christine's review they either hated it or thought is was mindless fun (what we've only ever set out for). On the whole, I would rather have vitriol than apathy. The audiences are having fun. We are selling the houses pretty well. People who don't read Shakespeare at all are telling us that they can't wait to start reading. That alone makes this show completely worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Love me or hate me, just don't ignore me, right? You should find some quotes about "butchering Shakespeare" and build then up into marketing to people who don't like Shakespeare! Critics are meaningless if you're selling tickets. Congrats on your great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved abroad, despised at home. You are in good company. Any by the way, I despise you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother loves you no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it's all still going well. Your bit was my favorite out of all the fringe shows in Minneapolis last fall. I love my "Kill Will" t-shirt. I'd love to find a way to get you to DSU and Madison, SD.

    ReplyDelete