Sunday, December 6, 2009

We are here to kill his characters.

Last night we had some friends over for a dinner party, and we read the current script to them for feedback. They liked a lot of it, and we got some good laughs, plus some very helpful notes and suggestions. The intro needs to be revised, and there were some conflicting opinions as to how much we need to explain each play as we do them. It made me realize that it doesn't matter if the audience knows who the characters in a given play are, or what the story is, because we're not there to do scenes from Shakespeare. We're there to kill his characters, and tell some bad jokes, and do some kick-ass fights. So that's what we're going to do.

Also, we had our first production meeting with our director, the stupendous Ali Garrigan, and she, too, had a lot of helpful criticism and ideas for the script. The best thing is, she is super excited to be working with us on this show and she really wants to be an objective director and help us get our ideas out there. We've got a lot of rewrites to do before our first rehearsal on Thursday.

Kelly just asked me, "Yes, but how do you feel about it all?" A couple of days ago I was very stressed about how much work we had left to do, and I freaked out a little. (Kelly: A little?!?!?) OK, a lot. I still feel a bit stressed, but the laughs and comments we got from everyone were great and made me feel a lot better about what we do have written. My biggest concern right now besides the script is getting all the video done. I've got some feelers out there about how we're going to do that. So, overall, I feel much better about where we are.

2 comments: