Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Blocking

Ok. If you were expecting anything remotely sane or realistic, stop right now. Don't see the show. Don't read any more posts.

Yes, Ali is directing this in a fabulously comedic way. Over the top! Over the line! Over the...something! We finally starting getting on our feet last night and worked out a few scenes with blocking. My personal challenge is to just make Josh laugh in every scene every time we rehearse it. I don't know what his personal challenge is, but it's on for me!

It felt good to start working the text and to know that it is holding water and that we might not have to paddle the entire way upstream! I mean, this isn't the first time I've worked on a new piece. About a decade ago I worked on a collaborative piece at Dobama Night Kitchen on the Gulf War. Josh was in it too. I knew that I wasn't exactly cast on the strength of my writing, and my scripts weren't integral to the show as a whole (there were A LOT of good writers working on that show) but it was great helping a show take shape. I haven't sought the opportunity to do a show like that since then. It is a wonderful experience. And I'm remembering that again. I'm glad for that.

Merry Christmas, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment